Having completed my Lamborghini Aventador Hot Pursuit papercrafts in early part of 2013, I got an unsettling urge to build another big model, after a two year break since my 7ft Gundam project. The idea was to build a near-life-size replica of my Aventador Interceptor model, but small enough that I could get it out of my house. After proposing the idea to my wife, she dared me to it and the challenge was on!
For this project I experimented with new materials, new techniques, and larger prints than any of my previous papercraft models. The name Aventador A-E2 is derived from the Architectural E2 paper sheets used for the prints, mounted to thick chipboard material for added strength.
Overall I am very pleased with the final outcome of this experiment. I learned many new lessons and the artwork makes a great display on my wall. The completed model measures 8' x 3.8' x 2.1' (244 x 115 x 63cm), weighs 25lb (11.3kg), making it my biggest and heaviest papercraft model to date. ...Did I mention most expensive? The cost for printing and materials set me back $1,000, but the creative experience was well worth it.
Aleene's Fast Grab Glue
Aleene's Turbo Tacky Glue
Aleene's Tacky Adhesive Spray
Arch E2 format adhesive paper
Arch E2 format chipboard
Dewalt Folding Utility Knife
Fiskars Cutting Mat
Maxon Cinema 4D
Canon EOS 60D
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8
Prints and chipboard provided by
Additional printing provided by
Model texturing assisted by
NEW IN STORE
Free US shipping on papercraft kit orders of $75 or more.
Get $5 OFF a purchase of $50. Coupon code GIVEME5
Get $10 OFF a purchase of $100. Coupon code GIVEME10
Lamborghini Aventador A-E2
Ultimate Papercraft Supercar
Watch this video to see how this large papercraft was assembled.
Aventador A-E2 next to its little brother Aventador Interceptor.
My Dad and I next to the Aventador papercrafts.
My Dad was really enjoying this project.
Before building the entire car I built one wheel first to see if the new materials I used would work. It was a success!
This is what my home looked like when I got all the large-format templates from the print shop.
My cat got very exhausted watching me hand cut all the templates.
After assembling all four wheels, I had to take them for a test drive.
Here’s some of the additional internal framing I needed to design and build for structural support.
This is the amount of glue I used for this project, with Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue. providing the best results.
Giving it up for my savior, knowing that with God’s help and hard work I can accomplish anything I set my mind to.
The completed model on my wall right where I wanted it.